Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Herbalist Spotlight-Angie Goodloe



Angie Goodloe is such a sweet herbalist as well as educated.
She is a 34 year old wife and mother. She is due with her second child very soon as well as has a daughter that is about a year and a half.

So herbal mothering is second nature to this wonderful woman.

I am sure we will see more of Angie in the years to come.

I sent her a questionairre and here is a littel about her life she shares with us.
Enjoy~








Do you remember what was going on in your life that lead you to herbs?
Herbs and plants have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My family has wildcrafted, used natural and folk remedies, and practiced a country way of living (gardening, canning, homemade meals, working outdoors, farm animals et). My Mother and Grandmother were the main influences. I was lucky as a child because my house bordered a forest in the Pacific Northwest, in the Columbia River Gorge where I could explore and get to know all of the local flora & “weeds”.


How old were you at that time?
Very young, as long as I can remember~
I was always a “Tom Boy” playing in the dirt and letting my imagination run wild. My Grandmother had 10 kids, they were immigrants who worked the fields, so a sense of self reliance and country ways where always ingrained into me. My Grandma was originally from Arkansas, she passed down many folk ways to me.



Can you share some of the work that has most influenced you? Such as
books, blogs, video and lectures.
Besides my family, Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel was the first book that really got my passion flowing. I was about 10 or 11 when I read it. The second herbalist (besides Mom and Grandma) would be Juliette Levy. I have always loved animals, I felt more confident working with them when I first started. Her Gypsy ways always intrigued me, I would spend hours wandering through the forest, this was my escape. Another would be Michael Moore, I still love all of his books. Rosemary Gladstar is another one of my favorites, I can really relate to her style. A few more are Stephen Buhner, Matthew Wood, Leslie Tierra. Aviva Romm has been a recent favorite of mine, since becoming a new Mother, her books have helped me tremendously.

My first formal herbal education was the Australasian College of Health Sciences in Portland Or. I graduated from their Master Herbalist Program and their Holistic Nutrition program. Prior to that education, I was a certified personal trainer and aerobics instructor. I have my Mother’s influence to thank for that as well, besides always being active, she got me started strength training, skiing, martial arts, and hiking from a very early age. I have always had an interest in overall wellness, taking college courses, consulting others, and practicing this lifestyle for myself and my family.

I love to take classes, I am currently working with Kiva Rose, and I plan on taking Micheal Moore, Paul Bergner, rosemary Gladstar, Aviva Romm and whatever other books, lectures and seminars I can seem to afford!
I love learning and networking with other herbalists as well, I consider jim mcdonald a close friend and an absolute genius! He is amazingly open and accessible with all of his knowledge.

When I first got access to the internet, I ran across Henriette Cress’s website, I went crazy printing all sorts of resources from there.

I also have an interest in wild foods, outdoor survival, and Indigenous Herbalism. I love to research the Pacific Northwest Native American traditions. When I give my herbal & wild food walks, I like to add native uses for plants in my descriptions. Growing up, I had Native American influences from my uncle, this helped to foster an early interest.

Spirituality and healing have been a more recent interest of mine. In the past few years this has been a major focus and I realize it’s importance when it comes to a balanced state of health. Connecting with the earth has always been a natural thing for me, as I get older I learn to appreciate it’s importance even more. I would frequently sit with plants and connect with all of nature as a child, it is funny how we end up seeing the importance of this and long to return to it as an adult. Now I still get out in nature as much as possible, I find it very healing and rejuvenating.

My Licensed Massage Therapist education in 2002 really helped my healing practice come full circle. I got to learn both western and eastern techniques, received an excellent education in anatomy, physiology, pathology and kinesiology. This helped with my intake skills as well as intuitive abilities. Incorporating massage, wellness, spirituality and herbal remedies really gives me a chance to empower others to be balanced and focus on overall health. Since I have a background in many types of healing modalities, I use a little of everything from my healing “tool box” when meeting with clients.

In 2005 I had the opportunity to work as a manager at The Green Herb Apothecary here in Sandy Or before they closed in 2007. This gave me the opportunity to see alternative medicine trends and the needs of the community. I really enjoyed having frequent interaction with the community daily. Working in a store atmosphere helped me with the business aspect as well. After the closing of the apothecary I ran an online store selling the remainder of the inventory of herbal remedies, vitamins, books and crafts.

As for blogs, my favorite is Kiva Roses Medicine Woman Roots, I have many others, but this is at the top of my list.
I enjoy forums, herbwifery & Susun weed’s.

When making plant medicine, are you drawn to any particular method?

I enjoy wildcrafing my own medicine, making all types of healing medicine with intention. I make a lot of tinctures.

Do you have a most memorable event, conference, or one on one
experience with any of our herbal foremothers and forefathers or any other key
person used in your path of herbalism? And how has that influenced you
today?
Probably foraging with my Mother, and my Grandmothers healing medicine (not just herbs) she was a garden steward, and she was an incredible healer, praying for others, an excellent listener, an incredible medicine woman!
My love of nature. Nature itself influenced me, it’s amazing new discoveries every day made me want to learn more, connect more. I had an interest in this for as long as I can remember, without having to be pushed into it. I loved it so much I spent more time outside than inside, connecting with the forest, rivers, ocean and animals. I have always believed they have a spirit all their own, and yes I believe in fairies!!!!

Where are you located?
Mt Hood~ Sandy Oregon

Do you work with the public and could you describe your work? such as:
Do you teach classes?
I teach classes at Universal Class.
I host herb walks
I enjoy writing in my blog Herbalist Path (Kr notes, check her blog out for her schedule, workshops, etc.. too)
I am taking a break from working full time as an LMT, to stay home with my Daughter and my 2nd child that is due July 4th. I still practice at the Guide Dogs For the Blind, with the students there occasionally.

I work with people when referred, I no longer have a place to hang my shingle (the rent did not make sense after my Daughter was born), I am playing around with the idea of consulting from home (instead of traveling) I just moved to a new home and plan on planting a healing garden here, I may teach a small group of students at my home.

I am planning to teach a few classes focusing on women’s health at a book shop in Welches Oregon in the spring.

Do you offer consultations?
Yes

Do you travel for herbal work?
Yes, I also help people online and by phone.




Do you have a vision for your work in the future or are you seeing how
it unfolds?

Oh yes, I dream every day! I would love to someday have a healing center, with an apothecary and garden onsite, offering classes, and a variety of holistic healing techniques. I do not see my self in a “white coat” clinical type atmosphere.
I would also love to write more, perhaps publish a book someday.


Most of the readers are new to herbs and if there is one word of wisdom
or sage advice you could leave them, what would that be?

Don’t feel like you “need” some fancy certificate to practice with herbs. Work with the plants, know your limits, be educated, but practice! That is the only real way to learn. Experience nature, heal yourself so you can better heal others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so want my hair that long...

(jealosy, pure & simple)

Angie rocks.

Growing in the Green said...

Me too Jim! I love that picture of her so much, not only for her beauty as a woman but that hair in the wind is amazing:)