Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Meeshi and some other awesome foodie mama's

My online buddy Meeshi has shared these recipes this week and what joy to see something so simple and nutritious be enjoyed by all.
She shared pics of the kids making the muffins, they were that easy and I suspect the original muffin recipe could be a spin off of a famous recipe by Sandi called Pumpkin Muffins.
The food blog this month has been so fun. Lots of great ideas and different eating styles. I know Meesh is vegetarian, we also have a Vegan, and a Korean (I think she is Korean-she lives in Hawaii) and a few other American girls participating. So this well rounded handful of mothers makes it so interesting.
I gotta say, Sandi made a key lime pie and lime merangue pie too I think it was for St Patty's...very cool indeed.
I would share links but these are families and I try to get permission first.
Here is Meeshi's recipes today. I want them in my archives!!! lol

Honey Baked Lentils
1 cup lentils
2 cups water
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soysauce (I used Braggs)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ginger (I omitted this)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
salt & pepper
In a baking dish (I use a loaf pan) combine all ingredients. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 until tender, about an hour. I stirred at least once during baking because the onions tend to rise to the top. We serve with rice and like it all stirred together.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Apple Pumpkin Muffins
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (we substited a shake of clove, nutmeg and cinnamon)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup canned or cooked pumpkin
1/2 vegetable oil
2 cups finely chopped apples
In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin and oil, stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in apples. Fill paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
For a crumbly topping, combine 2 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp flour, a shake of cinnamon and 4 tsp of cold butter or margarine. Use a fork to combine and sprinkle over the tops of muffins. This recipe made 12 muffins, plus had enough batter left over to make a little cake.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

1 comment:

Norm Deplume said...

Mmmmm, those lentils sounds good! Thanks for sharing. I had missed this round of recipe sharing. :)