Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Jenny Pottruff~Herbalist Spotlight


Jennifer Pottruff



Jenny is my classmate at Heart of Herbs School



At 30 years old, Jenny is a wife, mother of 3 children, and active in health work in Ontario, Canada.



I asked Jenny what was going on in her life that she feels lead her to herbs. She was 27 at the time. Here is her story.

I was working as a Pharmacy Technician. I felt that I just didn't have much responsibility or respect. I thought there was probably something better I could be doing. Then I found that alot of patients were coming in and asking about herbs. One of the 2 Pharmacists that worked in the Pharmacy would tell them all that they haven't been evaluated by the FDA (which doesn't effect us here in Canada, we need Health Canada to evaluate them) and so they should stay away from them. I said to him I would like to learn more about herbs and he said as a Technician, I only needed to know where they were on the shelves. The other Pharmacist at least made an attempt, but didn't know much about the herbs. At that point, I decided that people really needed someone to go to for advice on herbs.



Curious as to some of the influential work she has studied, Jenny says,



"I read a few books to do some self study while I was looking for the right program to take. I also needed a distance program because I was working and had my 3 girls to take care of. The books were ok, but I finally got Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Healing for Women and that one really got me interested. She made Herbology sound so interesting and fun and she sounded like such a great teacher. Then I found my teacher who was actually a student of hers and just as wonderful".



Jenny, when making plant medicine, are you drawn to any particular method?



I make teas the most because that is what my patients (we can call them patients here in ON, Canada) have the most interest in. I also make alot of extracts, and ointments. I have found lately that I am using syrups alot. My children love the syrups and my Father and Husband hate tea, so the syrups work much better for them too.



Do you have a most memorable event, conference, or one on one experience with any of our herbal foremothers and forefathers or any other key person used in your path of herbalism? And how has that influenced you today, Jenny?



The Ontario Herbalists Association President has been a great help to me. As well, my teacher Demetria Clark has been a bit influence. Her program was wonderful, and she is a great teacher. When I needed to do extra to be Registered with the OHA, she went out of her way to help me get what I needed.







Do you have a vision for your work in the future or are you seeing how it unfolds?



I am a Homeopathic Doctor and Herbalist and hope to be able to help as many people as I can learn about herbalism and homeopathy. I am excited to see how things will work out.



Jenny is currently working on opening a clinic. Her website and email are great ways to find out more about the work she is pursuing in Canada.


Jennys Website

No comments: