Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Organic Farm Experience



I was born and raised in Las Vegas Nevada. Small scale farming was practically unheard of.
Water is diminishing in the lake. Las Vegas is pretty dependant upon neighboring California and surrounding areas to feed their city.
Since I was a little girl, I dreamt of places like Vermont and other scenes plastered on wall calenders.
I am currently living in the Ozarks so that is a dream come true of sorts.

This year, I had the opportunity to apprentice at http://www.foundationfarm.com/

It has been so rewarding and enriching. There are other folks that work the farm with the creator, Patrice Gros. It is amazing the sense of community that occurs out there. I could see a person for 5 minutes for the very first time, and we will visit for hours like old friends. It never fails.
The organic farm is spiritual. I dont know if it is the beauty, the plants themselves, or the thriving life, but I feel like I have walked away from a powerful church service when I go home.

I have pictures on http://myspace.com/dreamseedscrone and have been blogging since the summer about it, but today is fall and I have a new blog. So there may be less and less writing about this venture coming soon, but for the next few weeks, come with me to experience the autumn work at the organic farm.
It has been such a rewarding experience for my family.

I typically tend on Mondays, but this week I was up to my ears in orders. So I went on Friday adn worked with Fred, the guy Friday as he refers to himself.
Fred has been homesteading for only a year now adn it sounds liek he got a huge jump starrt. He is already selling at farmers market and has on the side music lessons he teaches. His wife is a nurse as well so they are fixing up their 12 acre farm.
We had a great time visiting while harvesting basil.
We usually round out our work day around noon with a farm fresh meal. Today was squash pancakes with dip sauce.
My 15 year old Josh, came out for the first time-his homeschool science for the day.
He helped with basil until he got a rash, and then moved over to the beans. He also herlped prepare the meal.
Olivia also came for her first farm visit and she sat with the doge, Billy and Roux for msot fo the day and watched Patrice work.
I am so thankful she did well out there so that if I need to bring her again, I feel she will behave and stay off the beds. You know how 3 year olds are!
This Saturday is the Foundation Farm Harvest Party we are invited to. A good time to meet others passionate about quality organic foods.

1 comment:

Ananda said...

Hello Friend! I happend upon your new blog - somehow! How wonderful! Congratulations on your new adventures - talk soon, Love
Ananda